Superintendent's Newsletter - May 27, 2021
Dear Salt Lake City School District community,
As we approach the end of the school year, we are so excited to celebrate our graduates. I know many of you have been looking forward to this day for years, and we are as thrilled as you that graduation day is almost here.
As you know, most of our high school graduations will be held this year at the Huntsman Center. We are committed to following the rules and protocols set in place by the Huntsman Center and want to share the latest update for graduation restrictions:
- The Huntsman Center will not be requiring masks for graduation. Masks are welcome but not required.
- We may now have up to 550 students seated on the floor.
- Socially distanced seating is no longer required.
- Each student will still only be allowed four guests, and tickets will be distributed by each school.
- Additional guests will not be allowed, even outside the Huntsman Center.
- Students will enter at door number 4 and will proceed to take a seat with the graduates on the floor as they arrive.
- Guests will arrive at the West side of the building and will proceed to their seats.
- Students will exit at door number 1 after the ceremony ends.
- Printed programs may be distributed as guests exit the building.
- The ceremonies will be live-streamed on the district YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/slcschools.
We are grateful to the University of Utah and the Huntsman Center for their continued support as we finalize graduation plans. We will keep families in the loop if there are any additional changes to the Huntsman Center’s guidelines for graduation.
Learning Options for 2021-22
The 2021-22 school year promises to be a great year for Salt Lake City School District and its students. In planning for the year, we took what we have learned from this year to create and offer different types of learning options for our students. Those options include a traditional school schedule – five days a week of in-person learning in our schools – as well as a remote, online learning option for those who are more comfortable learning from home.
For elementary students who wish to participate in online learning, elementary students can enroll in our new online school, Salt Lake Virtual Elementary. Our middle schools and high schools will offer remote-only periods with live teaching and scheduled daily classes as needed to meet the needs of students who wish to learn online. In addition, high school students who would like a blended learning approach of both in-person and online learning can enroll at Innovations Early College High School.
School Administration Changes
With the coming of the 2021-22 school year, we are announcing several changes for our school administrators. The following changes will begin July 1, 2021.
- Adrienne Kumick, currently the assistant principal at Rose Park Elementary, will be the principal at Wasatch Elementary.
- Kody Colvin, currently the assistant principal at Escalante Elementary, will be the principal at Hawthorne Elementary.
- Shannon Wilson, currently a counselor at Backman Elementary School, will be the assistant principal at Backman Elementary.
- Marissa Hautau, currently principal at Northwest Middle School, has been appointed as an assistant principal at East High School.
- Andrea Seminario, currently the assistant principal at Mary W. Jackson Elementary, has been appointed as principal of Northwest Middle School.
We are in the process of hiring other school administrators and will announce them as they are hired.
Student Device Return
As the school year ends, we will need to collect the district-owned computers and tablets students have used during the year. Please look for information from your student’s school on when and how those devices are to be returned.
Summer Meals Program
Starting on Tuesday, June 8 (the day after classes end), we will begin our Summer Meals program. Meals will be available free of charge to all children, ages 0-18, in the community and will feature our Grab and Go meals, which include a lunch for today and a breakfast for tomorrow. The meals will be available Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., at the following 18 locations:
601 North 1500 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
Clayton Middle School
1470 South 1900 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
East High School
840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
430 South Cheyenne Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
1017 East Harrison Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah
1810 West 900 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
Glendale Middle School
1430 West Andrew Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah
Highland High School
2166 South 1700 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
Highland Park Elementary
1738 East 2700 South, Salt Lake City, Utah
1085 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
Mary W. Jackson Elementary
750 West 200 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
497 North Morton Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah
North Star Elementary
1545 North Morton Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah
970 South Emery Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
Rose Park Elementary
1105 West 1000 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
SLCSE - Bryant
40 South 800 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
West High School
241 North 300 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
1600 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- May 26, 2021 – Community food distribution at the Rose Park Community Learning Center
- May 27, 2021 – Milk distribution at the Glendale Community Learning Center and food distribution at the Liberty Community Learning Center
- June 1, 2021 – Board of Education meeting
- June 2-4, 2021 – High school graduations (see our district calendar for specific dates and times for each school)
- June 7, 2021 – Last day of classes
Salt Lake City School District